This is Alison, Preston's mom. I will be posting things on this blog during Preston's mission. Preston will not have access to this blog until after his mission. If you would like to send him an email please see his contact information, located to the right of this blog. Thanks

Monday, April 4, 2016

#40: President Chavez' New Calling

I have really enjoyed this last week because a lot of cool things happened.  First off, last Monday was my birthday...my 20th to be exact!  I really enjoyed celebrating on Preparation Day because I was able to talk to my family and friends.  We had cake, ice cream and lots of fun.  I only have one more birthday here in the mission and I think that makes me a little sad.  I wish I could serve longer, because I'm having a great time.

On Wednesday, I was on divisions with one of the Assistants to President Chavez, named Elder Meyer.  I look up to him a lot and he taught me many things that day.  We were in the streets contacting people, and we started talking to this one gentleman.  He's been looking for happiness in his life and hadn't found it yet.  We told him we can go to his house and share a message of God's plan for him.  He accepted and let us into his home.  At the end of the lesson, we invited him to pray.  At first, he didn't want to, but he felt like he should.  He began praying and pouring out his heart to his Heavenly Father.  It was one of the most powerful, heartfelt prayers I have ever heard.  He was so overcome with emotions.  He began to cry.  The Spirit was so strong during the lesson.  This is an experience that I won't forget.

This weekend was quite special because of General Conference.  We had to go to La Junta to watch Conference because our Prayer House (church building) doesn't have internet.  We were able to bring quite a few of our investigators to this special weekend.  They really enjoyed it, as did the missionaries.  I wasn't able to watch the first session because I was outside trying to get people off the streets to come in and watch conference with us. haha  I watched two of the sessions in Spanish, and the other three in English with the gringos.   It was really good.  I think I like watching in English because I like to hear the voices of the prophets and apostles, but overall, I learned a lot from the leaders of the church.

All of the missionaries were watching the session where President Chavez (his mission president) was called as an Area Authority Seventy.  We all FREAKED OUT, in fact we went Bizerk!!!haha How exciting!!! We knew he had gone to Salt Lake City but didn't know why. Now it all makes sense.

This week has been great week, full of great, powerful, and spiritual lessons that I will remember throughout my life.  I love where I am, and the work I'm doing as well.  I'm looking forward to October, when we have the opportunity once again to hear from the servants of the Lord.

Love you much,
Elder Fowler

This week's scripture to "Ponderize" is:

Helaman 5:47
Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in my Well Beloved, who was from the foundation of the world.

(How exciting to see the word, RENO when
you're so far from home)

(Elder Meyer celebrating Elder Fowler's 20th birthday-cake and all)

(Birthday boy-someone brought him cake)

If I've learned anything, it's how to improvise when you don't
have the things you need!  One time we even made a strainer
out of a milk carton for our Mac and Cheese! haha
(Love how they used their ironing board as a table)

(List of those who were called as an Area Authority Seventy
in this last General Conference- if you look in the row where
the mouth is, you'll see his mission president' name,
Ulises Chávez)

No comments:

Post a Comment